Friday, January 14, 2011

Quilt # 6, Charity Quilt - Million Pillowcases Project, Mystery progress, and Other News

I charted out my progress on my calendar today, and it looks like I'm still ahead, but since the mystery quilt is taking a long time (I'm almost done with those 600 2" squares, though), I've decided to make my charity quilt this weekend.

The charity quilt project that I chose is called the Million Pillowcases Project.  You make a pillowcase and donate it to a charity.  In my case, I'm sending mine to a participating quilt shop to be donated to an abused women't shelter. 



The design that I'm going to use is a ruffled pillowband design that I hope will be super adorable, and my main fabric is a super soft almost flannel feel cotton that has funky butterflies printed on it.  I know that this is a small project, but they can't all be king size quilts, right?  And if it can be a comfort to someone that's even better.

In other news, the Thangles are a nightmare... Yesterday I wanted to build one comepleted mystery quilt square for inspiration, and boy am I glad that I did! 

I love this quilt square!   Here's the problem:  Look carefully at the right corner.  There is one squiffy red/neutral square.  Here's how it happened.  I got all the pieces together, and was putting the red and neutral Half Square Triangles on the outside, and the Half Square Triangle rows were WAY too long, so I measured.  Each square was 2.5", not 2".  I made these pieces using the Thangles, so I was LIVID (for about five minutes).  When I ordered the Thangles I ordered the size that would end up being 2" square. 

Now, what they really meant by that is that once you sewed them into a quilt they would be 2" square.  The way the directions were worded it sounded like the finished SQUARES would be 2".  So ALL of my 600 Half Square Triangles are going to be 1/2" too big.  I read the directions multiple times to make certain that I was ordering the right thangles, and I thought it was correct. 

BEWARE!  Thangles include a seam allowance, so if you are working with a pattern that also allows for a seam allowance and says you need to make 2" squares, you need to order the Thangles that are 1.5".  Can you see how I got so confused!?  Argh!  Thangles!!

At least I know now, and can modify in the future.  The great thing about the Thangles is that they are super easy and convenient.  you get really uniform results really quickly.  Over-all, I like them, but there is a definite learning curve!

Anyway, I really like the main square for the mystery quilt!  I was really reticent about how the green pink and red would go together with the brown, but somehow it's gorgeous.  Go Bonnie!

In other news, my cousin, (who we will call) "McJ" is in the 4th Grade and was having a school fundraiser in which she was selling magazines.  So, I ordered a subscription to American Patchwork and Quilting (a magazine I regularly pick up anyway).  This is my first quilt mag subscription, and I'm jazzed to get my first issue in a few weeks!  I really also want to get a suscription to "Quick Quilts" and a few others.  This year is all about learning and finding time-saving techniques and I hope to glean some inspiration from these mags, and also help McJ's school.

No comments:

Post a Comment