Friday, January 21, 2011

Research and New Quilting Methods.

One of my biggest challenges as a quilter is getting my finishing to look good.  No matter how hard I try I can't get my machine quilting to look right.  This is why lately I've been tying quilts to finish them, or I've been doing light quilting.  I have been looking for a method where I can have a nice looking finished quilt that doesn't have a ton of folds on the bottom layer. 

My big problem is that no matter how much I baste, most of the quilts I make are too big to not be cumbersome when I'm eventually quilting them.  I have tried a variety of techniques, and nothing has given me really good results.

I think this method may be a good solution. http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtoquiltoneatatime.html  If I quilt all the blocks individually as I make them, and make sure that they are all squared up before I get quilting, then maybe it'll be easier.  I think I'm going to try it on my Roll,Roll, Cotton Boll quilt. 

I have also been doing some research on my next quilt.  I'm going to make a Sunbonnet Sue Quilt next.  I haven't 100% decided on a theme yet, but I got some neutral/background material already, and have a Quilt-A-Day book to help me along.

On the "RRCB" front, I am finally finished with sewing the 600 HST's!!  I finished the sewing last night.  Now, I just have to press them and square them up!  I hope I can get that done this weekend some time.  Time is hard to come by right now... Whew!  Between working odd jobs, and rehearsing almost every night it's tough to find the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment