Saturday, March 19, 2011

I found it!

One of the reasons I set out on this journey to make 52 quilts this year was because I want to get better at quilting. and the best way to do that is to make as many quilts as you can.  I had a bit of an "ah ha" moment last week.

My big problems are with my pieces measuring up at the end ( I feel I tried everything for this, and continually I have to just fudge it a bit at the end... How do people increase their precision?) and with the quilting together of top, batting, and back.

I think I discovered one of my problems with the actual quilting process.  I've been using the wrong batting.

From my early quilting days on I've loved high loft fluffy batting.  I've been trying to machine quilt and free motion quilt with this stuff and I've been successful, but it was so difficult to do that it almost wasn't worth it.

When I was putting together my Sunbonnet Sue Symphony I decided to use some batting that my mother had brought me from her stash.  I had it on hand and the piece was the perfect size.  This batting was a dense cotton that you could probably sleep under as a blanket itself.  I laid out the backing, and put the batting on and it was amazing.  The batting stuck to the backing fabric like crazy.  All I had to do was smooth it out to get the ridges and wrinkles out.  I put the quilt top on it, and I have never had such an easy time quilting a quilt in my life.  The batting was beautiful and it all held together amazingly well.  It took hardly any pins, and while I was quilting I hardly had to struggle with the quilt to feed it through the machine.  It was awesome.

I am converted.  It's cotton batting for me from now on.  No more Polyester!!

No comments:

Post a Comment