Saturday, December 17, 2011

Quilt #49 - A Holiday Candle Mat

This candle mat was made with fabrics selected by my wonderful boyfriend for his parent's Christmas present.  The candle mat was a sort of "bonus quilt".  It was made out of the "left-overs" from another project, but I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

The big project that we decided to make was a tree skirt.  KBC picked out fabrics that he thought represented each of his family members (and himself), and I wanted to put them together into an appliqued masterpiece.  After much deliberation, I decided to make the skirt a patchwork, and thought it might be fun to use my favorite trip around the world pattern (thank you Emily Bodkin for introducing me to this technique!!  I will be forever in your debt.)

I made the trip around the world, and then I cut off the corners to make an octogon shape out of the square quilt.  I realized that I could put those triangles together and make a bonus quilt!  It turned out great, and I would highly reccommend this technique to anyone making multiple gifts for the holiday season!

I've included a photo of the skirt with the corners cut off so you can see where the components of the mat came from.  I backed the mat in a festive Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer scrap that I've had hanging around with nothing to do with it.  I'm so glad that it got used finally!






No comments:

Post a Comment