Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Quilt #50 - Holiday Tree Skirt! Merry Christmas!

When deciding what to make for KBC's parents, I discovered that they have been using a fabric scrap as a tree skirt for years.  Voila!  That was the gift. 

I did a bargello trip around the world pattern, then cut off the corners at a 45 degree angle to create an octogon.  I cut out a row of squares to the middle, laid it out with backing, batting, and top.  Then I quilted it, cut off the excess backing and batting, and bound it.

I love the way it turned out!

The one down side that I discovered as I was quilting was that the fabrics that we picked out for the top were all very bright and cheerful, but they might not match every holiday decor.  The solution:  back the skirt in a more neutral but still festive fabric.  I chose a rose pink and forrest green floral/stripe that is classy, but still in the holiday spirit.  I think that the skirt will match any holiday tree now, and I hope that they use the skirt for years to come!



Sorry, for some reason, blogger won't rotate my photo!  Here's the skirt under the tree!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment