Monday, February 18, 2013

Week Seven! RECAP!

2013 RESOLUTION:  RUN A HALF MARATHON

Week SEVEN...

Wow.

Week 7 day 1 was my fastest running day.  I had an 11 minute mile.  I was absolutely exhausted at the end of it.  My goal is consistent 13 minute miles for the half marathon.  This is the ABSOLUTE minimum to qualify as a finisher for the Chicago Half Marathon.  If you go any slower, you are diverted to the lake side running trail.  This wouldn't be the end of the world, but I would like to run the whole thing on Lakeshore Drive.  No matter what, as long as I make it, I'll be happy!  That's just my goal.  I keep thinking that if I want to run at the 13 minute mile time, I should train at a faster time.  These 11 minute miles were EXHAUSTING!  I don't know that I could actually finish at that pace.  I got through my 2.25 miles at this pace, but was wrecked.

Heres's a summary of the run:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274903241

The other thing to consider is that September is 7 training months from now.  There's a lot of room to improve my time.

Week 7 day 2 was one of the best runs I've had so far.  Not for route or for speed or distance... It was easy and fun.  Oxford went with me and he ran right along side me the whole time.  We had an amazing run.  He was totally focused on running, which was the cutest thing I've ever seen.  I looked down at him at one point as we were running down Sheridan, and he looked proud.  It was awesome.  My times were SLOW (like barely meeting the goal slow), but I could maintain that pace forever.  I ran a 13 minute mile, and then 3/4 of a mile at 13:42.  I attribute that 42 seconds to stopping for a "Don't Walk" signal.  When the run was over I felt like, "Oh!  We could keep going!"

Here's a summary of the run:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274903217

You might also have noticed that I got a new toy!  I'm running with the Garmin Forerunner 110.  It keeps track of weather, pace, elevation, allows me to make notes, and notates my exact route.  The mileage and pace are so accurate that I really have a handle on how I'm doing.  It's great!  Love it!  Thanks Grandma B!



The last run of the week is tonight, and we'll see how it goes.  I'm not sure if Oxford can handle it tonight since it's cold.  We'll see.

In general training is great.  I haven't missed a training run yet, and I run at different times of day all the time.  I'm training on similar surfaces to my race courses.  I haven't been injured, and I'm doing everything I can to prevent injuries (compression socks, not ignoring aches, heating pads, etc, etc, etc...)  The thing that surprises me most is that it's hardly ever easy.  I think I'm stretching myself just enough to make it tough, but even though the running is tough, it's never so bad that the next day I can't walk.  In fact, I haven't had any significant muscle soreness or pain.  This is the first time ever that a new workout routine hasn't made me have terrible muscle aches.

In years previous I trained for a 5k by running a mile, pushing myself to run two miles, and then running two miles for 6 days a week until I was exhausted.  I always ran for distance, and not time.  I would increase by increments, and then push it too hard on race day.  I've never broken that 5k barrier.  Training is easier this time and I feel like I'm doing it right.  Can't wait for my first 5k race of the season on March 3rd!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment