Sunday, March 17, 2013

Week 10 Recap

Wow.  Week 10.  I only have three weeks left of the Couch to 10k program!!  I can't believe it.  My 10k race isn't until May 26th, so I will just be in maintenance mode until then.  This next three weeks will be the hardest that I have done, and will test my endurance.  In fact, they might be the hardest weeks of this entire process.  After the 10k training is over, I start doing the run/walk method for my training and it shoots down to 45 minutes per run instead of an hour.  I do start going out 6 days a week, but it's easier running.  Eventually, workouts will be long (obviously), but when I transition into training for the half it'll get easier for a little while.

So, this week I was running in Omaha, NE.  My step-mother was very ill in the hospital, and I went out to be with her and help my brother and father.  Usually in these situations I tend to not take care of myself, but on this trip I made an effort to take care of myself first so that I had the energy to help out where I could.  I'm very glad that I went, and I'm happy that my family was generous enough to allow me to keep up with my running routine.  Here's two of the four runs that I did in Omaha for Week 10:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/283394921

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/283394880

On Week 10, Day 2, I DESTROYED my distance record.  I covered 4.44 miles during my workout.  I couldn't believe it.

That success aside, these runs were some of the toughest of my training so far.  I actually couldn't run on a few instances and had to take some extra walk breaks a few times.  Omaha is a bit hilly.  Just hilly enough to make certain that you are always on an incline.  I hope that this is the reason for the difficulty of these runs.  It could also be the stress the situation, or being away from my routine (the foods I usually eat, sleeping in a strange place, hydration, etc).  We'll see tomorrow when I do a workout here in Chicago.

Over-all progress:

I feel like the running training is going well.  I have a fear that Omaha or stress aren't the issues with my difficulty performing lately.  I'm worried that I've hit an endurance wall.  It was so difficult running for the last week and a half.  My fear is that I have reached  a point where I can't go any further.  A plateau.  I did factor in a few extra weeks of training to give myself some wiggle room for races or for needing to repeat a week or workout here and there.  Maybe I should repeat week 10?  I suppose I'll know better when I get back into my routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment