Sunday, April 14, 2013

Dropping the Ball- Week 12, 13, and 14 RECAP

It's been a little bit crazy around here.  The rental season is picking up, and I've been putting in extra hours at work, and training has become a little bit tougher.  Last Monday I worked an 11.5 hour shift and the last thing I wanted to do was hit the trail and run, but I knew that once I got out there I'd feel great... and I did.

Running the distance has gotten easier in the last three weeks.  I've made a few modifications...

I'm trying to eat lots of veggies and fruits.  I'm focusing on nutrition when I can, and just adding veggies to everything.  I really feel a lot better, and I think it's helped the running.  I would get to a point where I would run out of fuel on long runs, and that hasn't been happening as much.

I actually had my greatest run ever (and a distance PR) on Wednesday.  I ran 5.75 miles and felt amazing at the end of it.  Here it is:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/297183458

I am working on choreographing "9 to 5" at the moment, and on the above run I was listening to the soundtrack and working it through the moves as I ran.  I think that kind of right brain engagement made the running easier.  I must employ this technique in future.

So in the middle of Week 13 I started having some hip pain.  I couldn't tell if it was muscle fatigue, or if it was an actual injury.  I took it easy and did a very easy paced recovery run.  It helped to take a break, but the pain was still there.  I did some research, and tried some new stretches.  This REALLY worked.  I also stopped trying to modify my form so much.  It is a little bit frustrating that I'm not getting faster and that I know I've got some issues with my running form, but it seems like trying to modify it makes me hurt.  I think I need coaching if I'm going to try to modify my form.

The amazing thing to me is that we are four months into this endeavor, and I am running for an hour straight.  Also, I'm halfway through my training for my first half marathon, and I really feel likes it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment