Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Training right along! Weeks 2 and 3 of 13.1 training

I had an amazing time running my 10k race with the Salute Inc "Got Freedom?" 10k.  I covered the distance in and hour and 12 minutes, and took my time.  The course was lovely and there weren't so many runners that I was crowded.

The 10k race was my "long run" for my first week of half marathon training, and time has zipped since then.  I can't believe that I'm already in Week 4! 

Rockin' the running skirt!  A toasty day for training!!


I have gotten used to the rhythm of training 3 days in a row (Mon, Tues, Wed), and then having a long run on Friday.  This gives me the weekend off, and gives me the opportunity to get plenty of rest.

Week 2 of half marathon training was pretty good weather, and was ok for endurance.  I had a bit of a tough time in the transition of running days.  I feel like I'm making steady improvements, but it's tough.

Week 2, Day 4 I ended up having to run it on Saturday.  When I set out it had just stopped raining.  I thought I was in the clear for weather.  The sun was breaking through the clouds on my way out.  I turned around after running 2.5 miles, and the sky behind me when I turned around was BLACK!  It looked like a twister was going to sweep me and Toto away!  About 3 minutes after I had turned around it started strongly and very suddenly pouring.  It was a nice run, but running through the crazy rain was... interesting.

Week 2, Day 1
Week 2, Day 2
Week 2, Day 3
Week 2, Day 4

One thing I didn't anticipate is that I need to start fueling and hydrating for my long runs like I do for my races.  Last week's 6 mile run was tough.  I had to walk more than I'd like, and I felt sapped at the end.

Week 3 of half marathon training was good in the beginning of the week, but my 3rd run of the week I tried to run right away in the morning with Oxford.  We didn't make great time, but had a good time.  Week 3, Day 4 I ran out of gas. 

Week 3, Day 1
Week 3, Day 2
Week 3, Day 3
Week 3, Day 4

This week so far, I feel like I'm adapting to the heat, and new training.  Having a great week!

I can't believe I'm a week into this training, and I only have 2 months left!  August 10th is getting closer!  I can't wait!

With the toughness of the long runs, I have doubts every time I'm in the middle of it, but when I get done it doesn't seem that bad.  I know that races are different than training runs.  Preparation is different, the energy is different... I just get nervous about covering the distance when I'm having trouble in the middle of mile 4.

Tenacity and consistency are the answer... and that I've got!!

No comments:

Post a Comment