Monday, February 17, 2014

2014 Resolutions!

What an amazing year 2013 was!  I really had an amazing journey running and finding the limits of my distance running.  I loved running the half marathons last year, and I actually am looking forward to another half marathon (the Disney Princess Half Marathon) on Sunday!  I'm hoping to run a few more of them this year (maybe the Historic Half in Fredericksberg, VA?)

I wanted a cumulative goal this year.  Something that I could work on every week/day.  I enjoyed the 52 quilts project, and wanted to choose something that needed sustained effort.  I know how to motivate myself to run (sign up for races!!), so I decided that this year I will... drum roll..... Run 1 million meters!!  So excited for this one.  It's equivalent to something like 600-ish miles.  I think it's do-able, but also will require sustained effort!  Very excited.

As the year came to a close I also found that my conscience was speaking to me about another issue.  I have seen quite a few documentaries, and have read quite a lot of literature about the state of agriculture and animal testing in our corporate culture.  I will be honest:  I have felt absolutely crippled by the state of things.  It seemed impossible to help, or even to support the right things.  I don't want to give money to industries that harm animals.  I look into the eyes of an animal, and I know that they feel.  I would see my dog in the eyes of animals being harmed (seemingly for no purpose).  I want to be a better person and make conscientious decisions about what I eat, what beauty products I use, what I clean with, etc.

These are very complex issues, and I understand that many people feel that animals were put here to for us to eat.  I understand this point of view, but ever since childhood I've felt that there was something wrong with it.  I have felt the sting of my conscience since a very young age.  I have felt a kinship with animals since I can remember.  Dogs, cats, cows, goats...

I was actually a vegetarian for a while in High School through College and into my young adulthood.  I started eating meat again while I was in Alaska.  It was hard to get enough nutrients up there without meat.  (It's not like there was a natural foods store down the street... :)   )

I don't think that I want to go back to vegetarianism.  With the restricted diet that I'm on, it would be almost impossible. I do still eat meat, but I want to make informed decisions about that meat.  No factory farms.  No GMO.  No hormones or antibiotics.  

So, here it is.  I am going to try to be cruelty free in 2014.  Right now I am in the research phase.  Every new thing I buy, I am trying to buy conscientiously.  I search for cruelty free products as I need new stuff.  So far we have switched dog foods, hair colors, shampoos, and I've found a certified gluten free/ cruelty free cosmetic company.

I know this one might be tough, but if I can make a few small changes and try, this will be a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment