Monday, February 17, 2014

Zooma Chicago 2013 Half Marathon!

Wow! 2013 was an incredible year.

I know that I lapsed in my blogging, but I didn't lapse in my resolutions!! :)

My 2013 New Year's Resolution was to run a half marathon.  Well, I am pleased to report that I not only completed one half marathon, but successfully completed TWO!

On August 10, 2013 I ran the Zooma Chicago Women's Half Marathon.  It was a great experience.

I did get a little bit exhausted there toward the end.  Mile 13 was a tough one.  It was a lot of direct sun light, and very few water stations toward the end.  Also, there were not very many course marshalls directing traffic.  There were so many runners around the course (on the Chicago Lakefront Trail) that weren't running the half marathon, that it got incredibly confusing.  Alos it was a bit embarassing to be a back of the pack runner and have no signs of a half marathon happening except the occaisional paper sign.  There were many training runners looking at me strangely because I was the only person around wearing a number.  Ah, the risks of being a back-of-the-packer.


 I ended the race feeling exhausted, and slightly sun-sapped.  The rest of the day was given over to rest, bath time, ibuproffen, and the worst headache I have ever had.

I felt great and accomplished to finish such a great endurance event and to achieve my resolution.  I did really want to finish and feel great... but I was EXHAUSTED and SORE.

I would definitely run this race again, and I think that any rough spots will be ironed out for next year's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment